Beef Brisket with Carrots and PrunesJump to Recipe | See more: Beef, Entrees, Featured
- 2 or 3 lb brisket
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup water
- 3 cup sliced carrots (¼-inch slices)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 8 oz pitted prunes
- Heat oil at medium heat in a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven.
- Brown brisket on all sides.
- Add onions and stir until tender.
- Add 1/2 cup water.
- Return the brisket and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, sugar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Continue to cook covered for another 45 minutes or until brisket is fork tender.
- Remove brisket and carrots and keep warm.
- Add prunes to the pan and cook uncovered over medium heat for 5 minutes or until juice is reduced to about 1 cup and prunes are plump.
- Carve brisket across the grain in slices and serve with carrots, prunes and sauce.