Electrical Safety and the Family Pet
Your family pet can turn just about anything it finds into
a play or chew toy. Let’s make sure your pets don’t add electrical devices
to their toy chest.
A frisky dog or curious cat can cause an electrical hazard
or fire in ways you may not have thought about. Safe Electricity offers this
• Keep electrical cords away from puppies and kittens so
they don’t chew on them and receive a severe shock. If you have difficulty
getting your pet to stop chewing on the cord, you can paint it with a
bitter-tasting polish or wrap the cord in a thick plastic sleeve.
• Make sure nightlights and appliances are completely
plugged into wall outlets. Partially exposed prongs are a hazard for curious
children and animals.
• Keep halogen lamps away from play areas for pets and
children. Some halogen bulbs can reach very high temperatures, and if
knocked over during play, could easily start a fire.
• Keep appliances near sinks and bathtubs a safe distance
away from the water source. Playful pets can knock radios, curling irons and
other items into the water, creating a dangerous situation.
• Discourage animals from curling up behind warm computer
equipment. Pets should be kept away from all electrical connections.
Safe Electricity, All Rights Reserved